Various software development platforms are available in the market. Softwares are the need of today. .NET is one of the software framework developed by Microsoft in 1990s. The first beta version of .NET framework was developed in the year 2000.
Programmes written for .NET framework are executed in a software environment known as Common Language Run Time which provides services such as memory, security management and exception control. Moreover, it includes a huge class library known as Framework Class Library that provides user interface, database connectivity, data access, web application development and numeral algorithms and network communications.
Software is developed by programmers by integrating some of its own source code with the already code in .NET framework. This framework is intended to be used by many new applications developed for Windows Platform. Microsoft also provides an integrated development environment especially for .NET software and it is known as Visual Studio.
History of .NET Framework Versions Release:
|.NET Framework version||Included in Visual Studio version||Features|
|1.0||Visual Studio .NET||Introduced CLR 1.0
Object-oriented Web application development support
Use of DLL class libraries
|1.1||2003||ASP.NET and ADO.NET Improvement
Built-in support for mobile ASP.NET controls
Built-in support for ODBC and databases
Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) support
|2.0||2005||Introduced CLR 2.0
Generics and generic collections
Introduced many new controls and features to ASP.NET
|3.0||2005||Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF)
Windows Communications Foundation (WCF)
Windows Workflow Foundation (WF), and CardSpace
|3.5||2008||Built-In AJAX Support
Multi-targeting Framework Support
|4.0||2010||Introduced CLR 4.0
Managed Extensibility Framework (MEF)
Dynamic Language Runtime (DLR)
Task Parallel Library
|4.5||2012||Features Enhancements to CLR 4.0
Support for building Windows Store apps
Features updates in WPF, WCF, WF, and ASP.NET
|4.5.1||2013||Improve performance and debugging
Automatic binding redirection support
Expanded support for Windows Store apps
|4.5.2||2014||New APIs for ASP.NET and transactional systems
Resize system DPI in Windows Forms controls
Improvements in ETW and stress logging
Factors to be considered in .NET Framework:
- Interaction Between Applications: Normally, computer systems need to co operate with other versions as well. With .NET framework, complete access is available to all functionalities available in the newer as well as older programs that take place outside .NET development.
- Common Language Runtime Engine: This serves as the delivery engine of.NET framework. Such programmes are executed under the guidance of CLR. This ensures certain properties and behaviours in the field of memory management, security and exception control.
- Language Freedom: This software framework has a special common type system that defines all data types and programming that are supported by CLR and their interaction with other applications. This feature supports interchange of types and object instances among various applications constructed using any .NET Language.
- Framework Class Library: This feature consists of various functionalities useful for all languages that use .NET Framework and it provides classes that cover various normal functions such as reading & writing any file, database interaction, XML document manipulation and much more.
- Security: .NET Framework design focuses on some vulnerability like buffer overflows that have been used by malicious software. This framework provides a common security model for all applications.
Here, we have seen how .NET framework is useful as well as secure software development platform. Anyone can use it to get necessary software developed. However, to use this software till an extent you must be in touch with reputed Company for .NET Development like Softqube technologies.