The World Wide Web or the Internet took the world by storm. Every business today needs a website to market its products, be accessible around the clock to customers, or simply to build their brand. In fact, a lot of individuals prefer having their own website to showcase their professional capabilities as well. The first impression that a user gets about a business is from majorly from their website. A well-designed website goes a long way towards reaching out to customers. Conversely, a shady looking website can drive away customers –as they might feel that your business is not legitimate or is a scam. At present, most of the look and feel of websites is governed by something called Cascading Style Sheets or CSS.
What is CSS?
CSS is a style sheet language that is used to describe the look and feel of websites and user interfaces. It is usually used in conjunction with HyperText Markup Language (HTML) or eXtensible Hypertext Markup Language (XHTML) to create visually attractive web pages or user interfaces or even mobile apps for easy accessibility and use.
CSS is practically a programming language of its own and is used for designing animations, icons, and many other interactive media. CSS mainly focuses on layout, colours, and fonts and separates the presentation part of a website from its content. This allows you to make changes to a single CSS file, and control the look and feel of the entire website.
Some of the benefits of CSS could be:
- Separation of content from presentation
- Consistency across the site
- Single CSS that specifies the style for a range of HTML elements
- Easy reformatting of Web pages
- Accessibility for physically challenged users
15 Amazing Web Designing Galleries
There are many CSS web design galleries available on the Internet for providing inspiration to web designers and developers or for those starting out in the area of web design and development. A web design gallery brings together the best of designs on the Internet, for you to browse through and get your ideas from, submit your own designs, read an interesting article on the latest updates in the world of design, or look for designing jobs.
Here are 15 of the most amazing web design galleries you can draw some inspiration from:
- SiteInspire: Systematically organised according to styles, types, subjects, platforms, siteInspire makes finding the design you are looking for that much easier. If you click on a particular website, it brings up similar websites for further inspiration. If you are looking for an interactive design, siteInspire could be what you are looking for as it focuses on interactive websites. SiteInspire also features an extensive directory of web designing agencies from all over the world.
- Best Web Gallery: The focus of Best Web Gallery is more on quality than quantity. You will not find new designs here every hour, but they rate the top 10 designs and feature them in a separate section, and the best web page of a particular design house. They also list deals and coupons for various website design tools and assets to make them different from the rest. In case you are looking for user interface designs – they have a gallery for that as well. You can also submit your own design for featuring on this website.
- The Best Designs: The Best Designs showcases designs that you can filter by colour, industry, or genre. One of the most popular web design galleries, on the net, it is constantly updated with the best of designs. The Collections section groups together some of the best designs and themes. There is a Designer directory with short descriptions of each designer, his or her location, and design budget.
- CSS Mania: CSS Mania has the galleries organised according to year and month as well as by topic – quite an extensive archive of designs and they also feature a most commonly used colours section and a separate page on APIs for developers who want to interface with the content at CSS Mania.
- CSSline: CSSline is a focused on designs only and a great site to visit if you are looking for designs only. You can filter the websites by colour or tag, and the relevant sites are displayed. The site is designed simply, making it easy for you to search for designs.
- com: Categorising website designs by type as well as keywords, this gallery also features designs from web design agencies, professional web designs and the portfolios of freelance web designers to increase the variety of designs being showcased.
- Make Better Websites: Make Better Websites filters website designs by colours and styles. You can give your rating to a site that you take a look at. The layout of the site is simplistic and the best part is that there are no distracting advertisements. It offers you a simple gallery to browse and look through.
- Pattern Tap: Pattern Tap allows you to search for designs based on colour, style, type, and device. There is a New Updates section that talks about innovation in the area of web design and development. There is a 14-day free trial for a suite of products called Notable that includes web design and development tools.
- com: The CSSelite.com website allows you, the user, to vote and comment on various website designs. The Showcase section displays the Best of the Best CSS Websites. There are 12 categories of sites: Clean, Blog, Dark, Colourful, Designer, Unique, Corporate, Navigation, Colleges & Universities, Church/Religious, Best of the Best, and Splash pages. This site also offers the user resources like icons, plugins, book links, and advanced CSS menus.
- Design Shack: With an innovative name, the Design Shack boasts of more than 1800 websites in their gallery that you can browse through. You can search for websites by colour and category. You can also choose to become a member to submit your own designs, look for inspiration, or get the weekly newsletter in your email inbox. Signing up requires just your email address.
- Awards: Award is a site where individual web designers and web designing agencies can submit their work to showcase it to the rest of the world. The home page features a Site of the day as well as the nominees for the Site of the day. You can browse through the best collections, access a professional directory and even look for jobs in the area of design. To submit sites and post jobs, you need to become a member by registering through your email or social media.
- Behance: Behance is Adobe’s social media design network for design professionals. The site has website designs, prototypes, mockups and a lot of other free giveaways. There is a Best of Behance section with the best designs, a gallery that is categorised based on graphic design, photography, illustration, interaction, motion, architecture, product design, fashion, advertising, fine arts, crafts, game design, and sound. The Creative Tools section features examples from different Adobe design products. You can also follow the work from renowned schools of design.
- CSS Nectar: This is a site that is similar to the Awards site and lets you vote for and choose the best-designed websites. The best website is then featured here. You can browse for some of the best designs by category, colour, feature, or country. They have a rating system different from other sites – the final rating of a website is determined based on its design, coding, and creativity. It helps you design your own website keeping these three pointers in mind.
- CSS Design Awards: At CSS Design Awards, you get inputs on logo design, interesting articles in the area of design, and interviews of designers. You can submit your site and win a Site of the Day award – judged by internationally acclaimed professional designers from all over the globe. You can also look for designing jobs here.
All these website design galleries are a good place to search for design ideas or showcase your own design, find a designing assignment or increase your knowledge of website design through articles written by experts in the field. Most of them have resources that you can use to build a customised, user-friendly website of your own. It is a great way to stay updated in the field of design and also interact with professionals all over the world for guidance and inspiration. Browse through this gallery to get your creative juices flowing!